Saturday, July 08, 2006

    Harry Potter

    After reading an article about the next Harry Potter book, it occurred to me that it would be a brilliant marketing plan to release the seventh book on July 7th, 2007. 7 on 7/7/07. And the seventh is on a saturday, which would match the previous three releases of harry potter as pointed out in the article I read. By the way, who is everyone's pick to die in the seventh book? Two major characters are supposed to die, I thought Ron and Hermione would be the ones that people would be most upset about. And I seriousuly doubt they would bump off Harry, seeing as how this is supposed to be a children's book series, and why would they go to such great lengths to save him throughout all these books just to have him die in the end?!?!?! Sorry, I think I am still getting over the possibility of Dumbledore actually being dead (I still think he could pull the old Gandalf trick).

    5 comments:

    Marisa said...

    My parents' wedding anniversary is 7/7/77...that's even cooler than 7/7/07!

    Marisa said...

    I disagree with your reasons for not killing Harry off. I don't think he'll die, but not because it's a "children's book series" or the "great lengths" each book goes to to save him (I mean, Rowling wouldn't kill him off any sooner since he IS the protagonist). I think the whole HP franchise has certainly proved its endurability and has transcended being labeled simply a "children's series." I think killing Harry off would essentially nullify all efforts against the Dark Arts-- unless the only way for Voldemort to die is for Harry to die, too. But I just can't see Rowling making the final encounter between Voldemort and Harry about heroic martyrdom. After all, Harry has always been the reluctant hero, so what would that say about him if he sacrificed himself in the final book? It'd be eternal glory for Harry, which completely goes against his grain, and besides, I think Cedric's death in book 4 already fulfills the role of the tragic martyr. Entertainment Weekly published a list of characters and the odds that they'd die. I think Ginny's a good bet, and maybe Snape. And of course I hope Voldemort dies.

    Anonymous said...

    I'll be pissed if Ron or Hermione die-- they need to get together and have fictional babies! =P My bets are for Harry and Ginny. I have a feeling, either way, that a Weasley is going to die.

    Marisa said...

    Yeah, there are just too many Weasleys for one of them not to die.

    Nick said...

    My bet is that Hagrid and one of, if not both, of the Weasley twins dies.